Concerned people like you are making better choices for a green world. And we want to help!
American consumers buy 320 million cleaning products in trigger bottles each year, and millions of them end up in landfills. By comparison, concentrates use less packaging and can help reduce waste compared to buying a new trigger bottle every time you run out.
A Change Worth Making
In July 2011, SC Johnson launched an online test of Windex® Mini concentrated refill pouch, hoping to create dialogue about the green choice that concentrates can offer. We heard from more than a thousand consumers with input to help us refine our initial product. And we listened to the feedback, redesigning to address pourability and the importance of recyclable packaging, and expanding our lineup to offer different products for different cleaning needs.
This next phase, launched in 2012, was a full line of mix-your-own concentrated refills from the Windex®, fantastik®, Pledge®, Shout® and Scrubbing Bubbles® brands. These Mini refills come in small, easy-to-pour bottles made of the same recyclable plastic as a milk jug. You just fill a clean spray bottle with tap water and add the concentrate.
In 2013 we tested another way to try concentrates: the innovative Smart Twist™ cleaning system, which brought added convenience by automatically adding the right amount of water and keeping three cleaners in one handy sprayer. Just twist, spray and wipe – the perfect space-saving solution for busy households. The Smart Twist™ cleaning system was refillable and its cartridges were made of the same recyclable plastic as a milk jug. Our Smart Twist™ cleaning system test sold out by early 2014.
And along with continuing to expand our concentrates lineup, we hope to continue providing a forum for dialogue about concentrates. As it has since our 2011 launch, this website continues to offer a forum for comments, tips and input on concentrates and other green choices.
Why Try Mini Concentrated Refills?
Trigger bottles for almost all the concentrate brands – Windex®, fantastik®, Pledge® and Shout® – are already produced with 50% post-consumer-recycled content. The Scrubbing Bubbles® trigger bottle is made with 30%.
Choosing to refill with a Mini concentrated refill has an even greater positive impact:
• Requires 79% less plastic than the standard bottles
• Avoids transporting 19 to 23 fl. oz. of water, depending on the formula
• The refill bottle can be recycled in most community recycling programs
But that’s just the beginning. If just 20% of the 320 million cleaning products sold in trigger bottles were refilled each year, it could:
• Save more than 7 million pounds of plastic – more than 50 million one gallon milk jugs
• Avoid using 3.5 million pounds of virgin plastic – that's about 230 adult elephants weighing 15,000 pounds each
• Avoid transporting nearly 11.5 million gallons of water – enough to fill about 17 Olympic-sized swimming pools
About the Smart Twist™ Cleaning System
Though now sold out, along with being an innovative, smart, time-saving solution, the Smart Twist™ cleaning system that was tested in 2013 was a good choice for reducing waste, too. Again, keep in mind that trigger bottles for almost all the concentrate brands – Windex®, fantastik®, Pledge® and Shout® – are already produced with 50% post-consumer-recycled content. The Scrubbing Bubbles® trigger bottle is made with 30%.
Choosing to use the Smart Twist™ cleaning system and its cartridges had an even greater positive impact. The cartridges:
• Required 63% less plastic than a new standard spray bottle
• Avoided transporting 18.7 to 22.7 fl. oz. of water, depending on the formula
• Could be recycled in most community recycling programs
If just 20% of the 320 million cleaning products sold in trigger bottles were replaced with Smart Twist™ concentrate cartridges each year, it could:
• Save more than 5.4 million pounds of plastic – the weight of about 900 minivans
• Avoid using 2.5 million pounds of virgin plastic – that's about 164 adult elephants weighing 15,000 pounds each
• Avoid transporting nearly 11.3 million gallons of water – enough to fill about 17 Olympic-size swimming pools
Help Us Lead the Change!
Please join your friends in trying green choices. Together we can all make better choices for a green world.